You can have Spirent iTest emulate any step or session. When you activate emulation for a step, Spirent iTest does not send the command to the session as usual; instead, Spirent iTest directly returns the response that you specify — the emulated response.
Typical uses of Emulation :
1. Develop and troubleshoot a test case even when the DUT is not available
2. Test a response map or analysis rule with a response that is difficult to get from a DUT
3. Test variations in device behavior that are time-consuming to elicit from the actual DUT
4.Write and verify test cases for new DUT commands that are still being developed, that is, start testing a feature before it is available
5. If you have more testers than equipment, emulation enables you to automate tests without purchasing more equipment
I . Steps to enable Emulation for all ‘open’ steps in the test case .
1. Enable emulation for the test case so that any step for which emulation is activated will execute with the emulated response .
In the Test case menu , click Emulator -> Enable emulation for the test case.
2. Update all steps that use emulation to use the responses from the latest
execution against actual test bed devices.
In the Test case menu, click Emulator -> Update Emulation Responses for all Steps.
3. Activate emulation for all sessions in the test case or for most sessions –
all session responses are emulated.
In the Test case menu, click Emulator -> Activate Emulation for all ‘open’ Steps.
II Steps to disable Emulation in a test case.
a. Turn off emulation for the test case so you can run a test against the
actual test bed devices.
In the Test case menu , click Emulator -> Disable emulation for the test case.
b. Remove all emulation from the test case.
In the Test case menu , click Emulator -> Clear All Emulation properties for the test case.
III Steps to enable Emulation for particular session in a test case:
To emulate responses for only particular session,
1. Select the open step of the session in the test case.
2. Under the Open Step properties->Emulation-> Emulate property, select Always.
3. Repeat as needed for any session.